Storybook Topic Brainstorm

Statue of Durga

Idea 1: My first idea is to write my storybook about the Hindu goddess Durga. Durga is one of several goddesses that are said to be one but have several forms or reincarnations. According to the Durga wikipedia page, Durga is "the principal Hindu goddess of war, strength and protection." The most famous legend about Durga is her defeat of the demon Mahishasura. In fact, to defeat the demon is why she was created by the other gods. She has eight or so arms, and a weapon in each. I would love to retell Durga's origin story and how she came to defeat Mahishasura, as well as what she did next, i.e. how she found a purpose after defeating the demon she was created to kill.

Idea 2: My second idea is to do a modern retelling of Rama and Sita's story. In the Ramayana, Rama and Sita have a sort of 'love at first sight,' and are married once Rama lifts and strings the bow of Shiva. Sita then goes to live with Rama in his kingdom, and then she goes with him into exile where she is then kidnapped by Ravana. I think it would be really fun to write a storybook about actors who are starring in a stage or film adaptation of the Ramayana, and the actors playing Rama and Sita end up falling in love. I would write similar situations for the actors that happen to Rama and Sita, like maybe the actress for Sita actually gets kidnapped or is in some sort of danger and the actor playing Rama saves her. 

Idea 3: My third idea is to do a storybook on a few different Hindu festivals that are connected to the Indian epics. I was thinking telling three stories, one for each festival, focusing on one character and how they celebrate the three festivals. Having them spread out, one in the beginning of the year, one in the middle, and one in the end, would be best, I think. I could show how this person grows in a year and how each holiday/festival impacts them. After doing some research, I'm thinking the festivals of Bhogi, Rama Navani, and Diwali would work well. This wikipedia page has an extensive list of Hindu festivals, and links to each one to find out more.

Idea 4: My last idea is a storybook on different temples in India. If I did this as my topic, I think I would go about it from the perspective of different temple-goers. Many go to temples to pray at times of need in their life. I would love to write three different stories of worshippers going to a temple of a specific god or goddess to pray for something they need and then have that need be met, or maybe they have a divine meeting with that god or goddess. I'm not sure which temples or gods I would focus on, but this wikipedia list of Hindu temples would surely help me out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: Retelling of the Crocodile in the River