Week 11 Story: Separation of a Single Soul


Krishna's heart ached as he said goodbye to each and every member of his village. These were the people who had helped raise him — they say it takes a village, after all.

While each one was special to him in their own way, he didn't have trouble picturing his life without the majority of them. He knew his destiny was here, and if he had to sacrifice familiarity and comfort and friends along the way, he could.

He was of course deeply saddened to leave his adoptive father and mother, the people who really had raised him even though they knew he wasn't their blood. They had known for awhile that he would have to leave them, and the peace in their hearts cultivated a peace in his. 

There was one person who it truly tore him apart to leave. They had grown up together, played together, loved each other in every way possible. His soul had been knit with hers. He still loved her, he always would, but knew that being with her was not what the gods had planned. And who was he to go against that?

Finally, he found her sitting under their favorite tree, her legs curled up against her chest, silent tears falling like a waterfall down her beautiful cheeks. He knew she sensed his presence, but she didn't look as he approached.

"Beautiful Radha, please, don't weep," he said as knelt down in front of her, reaching to wipe the tears from her face. "I know this is hard, it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But this is what must be done."

"Oh Krishna," she said, her voice breaking even on just those two words. "Why is this what must be done? Why must you leave the one you love, why can't I come with you as you fulfill your destiny? I can fight alongside you, I can be there for you. Wouldn't that be better by far than you being alone?"

He sighed, as he knew she would say something along these lines. He had thought of it himself, actually. But the idea of bringing her into danger terrified him. He knew anyone he loved would always be in danger, so he would have to keep people at an arm's length.

"My love, that is not the life I wish for you. Even if I ignore the fact that I have seen the gods plan for my life and you are not in it, I couldn't bear putting you in danger like that. It must be safest to leave you here, to lead a normal life without me. That's the only reason I can think of that you are not in my future."

Radha didn't seem to accept his words.

"Why can't we make our own destiny? Why must we be relegated to these plans that have been set before us by someone else?"

Krishna was at a loss for words. He'd never heard Radha question the gods, question Dharma, like this. He didn't have a good answer. Why didn't he have a good answer? He was the eighth avatar of Vishnu. He was a god. Even if he didn't feel like it. People would worship him one day, and he couldn't even think of how to answer Radha's question.

"I-I don't know," he said weakly.

"Then take me with you."

"You will be with me, always, Radha. We are one soul."

"You know that's not what I mean."

"You know I can't give you what you want."

"Why. Not."

Krishna stood in frustration, running his hands through his hair and began to pace. He had come here resolved in his plan, resolved to leave her despite the pain it would cause him. She was slowly wearing that resolve down.

Suddenly, a bright glow appeared before him. He staggered backwards, blinded for a moment. As his eyes adjusted and the glow died down, he saw that it was none other than Shiva.

Krishna immediately dropped his knees, bowing his face on the ground.

"Lord Shiva, what brings you here?"

"Krishna, please, rise," Shiva said. Krishna did as he was told, eager to hear more from him. "This woman has been praying in earnest to me or anyone who will listen, praying for a change in destiny that will allow her to stay with you."

Krishna looked at Radha with love-filled eyes, and hers looked back at him.

"I have seen the two of you share a love that even I can't describe. While we always planned for you to leave her, I can see she will not allow that to happen. Krishna, take Radha with you on your journey to fulfill your destiny, and I promise no harm will come to her before it is her time. Which will be a long time from now."

Krishna's jaw dropped involuntarily, and heard Radha's small gasp.

"Lord, I don't know what to say," Krishna said. "Other than thank you. Thank you so much."

Shiva smiled and gave a small nod. "I'll leave you two alone now."

With that, he was gone just as quickly as he came. Krishna turned towards Radha, who was now crying tears of joy. Without saying a word, she ran into his arms and they both laughed and cried as he held her, knowing it was forever.


Author's Note: This story was inspired by the Epified Krishna videos 13-15. In video 13, Krishna wants to marry Radha but is told by everyone that he can't. They then reveal to him his true destiny and he realizes that he can't marry Radha. Then, he is summoned to Mathura and knows he is going to kill the king. In episode 15 he says goodbye to his village, but Radha is never mentioned again. I originally set out to simply write what I think their goodbye would have been like, but I ended up feeling so bad for them that I changed the story to make it so that Radha could go with him. Truthfully, I don't really understand why that couldn't have happened in the real story, the reasoning didn't really make sense to me. So I'm glad I decided to end it the way I did, I hope you enjoyed it!

Comments

  1. I love that you chose to write this dialogue out and give more of a vision to us as readers on what these characters are like to you. It reads like a book rather than a tale or fable which allows for us as readers to feel emotions toward these characters! You did a great job of continuing the dialogue and I like that you changed the story the way you thought it should go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jana, I really enjoyed your interpretation of the videos. I also thought that it was really cool and interesting how the majority of your story was written through dialogue. I also liked how you turned it into a more of a happy ending instead of a sad goodbye story. I have enjoyed reading all of your stories and look forward to reading the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jana! First things first: thank you for writing this story!! I felt the same way as you did when I read Krishna and Radha’s story, and you have written a beautiful retelling to change the couple’s life for the better. I’ve always believed that people are stronger when they rely on one another, and I don’t see how it could be any different for an incarnation of Vishnu. Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: Retelling of the Crocodile in the River