Introduction


Hello!

My name is Jana Hayes, I am a journalism senior here at the University of Oklahoma. Some basic facts about me: I'm 22, I'm married to my best friend, I'm an Okie from Muskogee, I'm very family-oriented, and I love reading and writing. Hence why I'm taking this class!

This is my last semester at OU, and also the first semester since Spring 2018 that I haven't been a reporter or editor at the OU Daily. That's still mind-boggling to me. With everything that happened in 2020, my anxiety really skyrocketed and my work at The Daily sometimes felt so overwhelming... so I decided to "chill" in my last semester. I'm currently trying to land a part-time job, though, because money.

After graduation, I'm not 100% sure what I want to do. For years I've wanted to do investigative reporting, but I'm reevaluating whether that's the best thing for my mental health. I know I still want to do something in the journalism world, so we'll see what happens!

Now, I'll tell you guys some of my favorite things. First off, my favorite book is Pride and Prejudice and I love anything P&P related: fan-fiction, all the movie/tv adaptations, silly web series on YouTube, funko pop's, etc. I also love books in general, and since coming to college I haven't had tons of time to sit down and read a book. So, I have been avidly listening to audio books and I highly recommend it if you love to read but don't have the time. I'm currently finishing book three of Outlander, which has also been adapted by STARZ and the first four seasons are on Netflix. I actually started watching Outlander while I was in quarantine last March. I literally stayed up every night for a week until about 4 a.m. because it was so addicting. If you need a new series, go watch it!!

On a more personal level, I got married in September to my best friend, Andy. When we married, we'd been together just over 4 years and 2 months. I never thought I'd get married before graduating college, but I am seriously so much happier now that we are and I can't imagine life any other way.

I'm leaving some random photos from the past few months that show me, my husband and some of our family. I'll try to leave more when I have more time, thanks for reading!


Me, my husband Andy and our niece Savannah on Christmas. Taken by my grandma.

Me and my husband Andy at my grandma's house on Thanksgiving. Taken by my sister.

Left to right: My brother, Jason, his daughter, Kendra, me, my grandma, Juanita, and my sister, Jessica. Taken by my mom.

A selfie of me with my niece Abby.

A portrait of me on my wedding day. Taken by Shelbi Jo Photography.

My niece Savannah. Taken by me.

Selfie of me and my niece Hayden.

Me with my camera (I do photography on the side) in Downtown Tulsa. Taken by Andy.

Portrait of Andy and I on our wedding day. Taken by Shelbi Jo Photography.

My nieces Savannah and Kendra opening up Christmas presents. Taken by me.

My nieces Amelia, Kinzley, Hazel and Hayden getting ready for my brother-in-laws wedding. Taken by me.

Andy and I with the nieces and nephews on his side of the family at our rehearsal dinner. Taken by my sister.

(tried to rotate but can't figure it out) Selfie of my sister and I with Kendra and Savannah.

My sister with Savannah at Andy and I's church. Taken by me.

Kendra and Savannah with my dad. Taken by me.





Comments

  1. Hi Jana!

    First, I want to say that this post brought a huge smile to my face. Reading your post, I felt like I got to know you really well, so seeing all of the pictures you posted just brightened my mood. Congratulations to you and Andy! Y'all (you two and your family) look very happy.
    I just want to say, I understand the feeling of not knowing for certain what you want to do after college. It may not feel like it, but you have time. Still, I have to keep reminding myself that when I get too stressed thinking about it. But it is true, there's time. Also, I watched Outlander too! Two words: so good. I had no idea it was a book series first though! I feel like a fake fan. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your last semester and where you choose to go after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jana!

    2020 was definitely a stressful year. While I didn't leave my job, anxiety did become something I've had to start dealing with on a fairly regular basis. Between classes and work, I used to be busy almost all day every day without taking time off. This past year, I definitely learned the value of cutting back on hours and taking a week off every now and then. I hope you find a job that works for you and that your journalism career winds up in a place that is fulfilling and not too stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jana! Wow, you looked stunning in your dress! I love seeing wedding photos, especially pictures of happy couples. This post like it was written with so much joy and I feel so happy to get to read it and be a part of it. I admire that you are able to distinguish and evaluate options in accordance with your mental health. I know I still have trouble doing that so I applaud you and know that you will find the right career or path you want to take with your life. I hope you have a great and safe semester and can' wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jana! First off -- you look GORGEOUS in your wedding photos! Congrats on getting married, I hope to be in your shoes someday. When I commented on your story just now, I thought your name sounded familiar, but I couldn't tell why until I read your intro and realized I recognized you from the Daily! I'm glad you took time off for your mental health, these days we all need to prioritize it. My last thing I wanted to say is I love Pride and Prejudice so freaking much, and most people I know who like it I know online so it's cool to meet someone at OU who loves it too. Good luck this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, look at all those beautiful pictures, Jana! The rehearsal dinner one is my favorite: it's like a whole herd of tiny adorable children. How wonderful!
    And it is indeed strange to think about the Daily without you! I got so used to seeing your name there, but I totally understand why you need a break: I'm amazed at all the work the Daily staff are doing, week after week, on top of all the demands of school. And now: with the pandemic thrown into the mix. And the weather! And political pandemonium: what a year!
    I am an Outlander fan too, and Gabaldon's story as a writer is so inspiring... since she didn't set out to be a novelist at all. Incredible! She was a science professor, and just decided to figure out for herself how to write a novel... and behold: Outlander. It is even more exciting for me, as a Doctor Who fan, that Doctor Who was part of her inspiration. A Scottish "Jamie" was one of the Doctor's time-traveling companions way way way back in the day, but now Gabaldon has defined a whole new genre of time-travel writing. She is one of my favorites and gives me hope that it is never too late to turn yourself into a writer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing and beautiful photographs! You looks snatched! You have a beautiful family. Wow working at the daily, that is truly very cool. This is also my last semester at OU so I relate to you on every level in terms of dealing with the pandemic in our senior year. I am glad we get to at least have an in-person graduation! I wish you luck on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jana! First of all I loved all the pictures that you posted, I feel like they really gave me an insight on your life and they are all so beautiful and precious. Congratulations on getting married and being on your last semester, those are all exciting things to celebrate. Same as you I feel like this pandemic has really taken a toll on my life! I am a biology pre-med major and with the pandemic and I am stalled on so many shadowing experiences and I am truly scared to see how that will affect my future, but I am just trying to take it day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jana!

    I am a senior as well. I am majoring in psychology though. I totally understand not knowing what to do after graduation. After this semester, I only have one more semester to go before graduating. I still am debating what I want to do afterwards. I think that it is so cool that you married your best friend. You look so gorgeous and happy in your pictures. I also love how you included a collection of photos in your introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jana!

    I really liked all of the pictures you included at the end of your introduction. They really helped me (and I'm sure everyone else) really connect with you and your family. I've been in a serious relationship with my girlfriend for the past 2 years, so it makes me very happy to see another young couple succeeding and even getting married! You seem really cool and your introduction was very enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jana, I love that you included so many photos of your life with captions! I feel like it helps us get to know you so much better! I love that you included your nieces it seems like they are a huge part of your life! You have absolutely no pressure to know what you want to do with your life! I have been struggling with that for such a long time since I am also graduating this semester! Just feel it out, and you will find something you love in no time! You are still young and you have time to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jana, I am not a journalism major or cannot write very well if I am being completely honest, but it is a very interesting realm to me. I could see why it could be very overwhelming at times and its okay to want to reevaluate and do what’s best for you! I loved seeing all the pictures of you and your family and you have a beautiful family. Good luck on the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jana, congratulations to you and your husband! You both look so happy in every photo, and you are gorgeous in your wedding dress. I’m so glad that you guys could make getting married during college work; it’s definitely a hard thing for a lot of couples to navigate. I hope you find your passion in the journalism world, and that whatever career it might lead you to still leaves you time for your mental health and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Story: Retelling of the Crocodile in the River