Reading Notes: Tiny Tales Ramayana, Part A

After reading the first 50 stories of the tiny tales book, I was definitely most intrigued by the story of Rama and Sita. I might like to retell their meeting and marriage in my story this week. Here are some notes that will help me remember + inspire me.

Rama first learns of Sita through Vishvamitra telling him about the bow and the test that must be passed in order to marry her. I do wonder if Rama actually wants to marry her or just wants to prove that he can lift and string the bow. 

Sita is not Janaka's biological daughter, but he obviously treasures her like she is. I thought the origin stories were all a little odd, a baby coming from the ground. But the first origin story was my favorite, I liked the idea that Sita really was just a gift to Janaka from the gods.

I liked the story about Sita learning to cook, and I think it points to a really sweet relationship with her mother. I'd like to know more about that/maybe use that relationship in my retelling.

I wonder why Sita can lift the bow? Where does she get those powers from, is it because she was a gift from the gods?

Little creepy knowing that Ravana was almost able to marry Sita. I wonder why they didn't know who he was, he must have been disguised.

I love the love at first sight between Rama and Sita. I would love to incorporate more of their thoughts in my retelling.

I was confused on why Rama had to shoot Parasharuma. I probably wouldn't include this in my retelling.

I loved the bit about the gift from Sita's mother. I wonder if she was feeling scared to go to a brand new place with a new husband? Were her parents sad? I'd like to address this more in my retelling.

Bibliography: Laura Gibbs, Tiny Tales from the Ramayana, Stories 37-47

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: Retelling of the Crocodile in the River