Reading Notes: Tiny Tales from the Ramayana, Part C


Going into this weeks reading I thought for sure Sita would get rescued in Part C. So I was surprised to find myself at the end of this part and them still fighting the war. But I really liked it, I like that it has taken a lot of effort on behalf of not just Rama but so many people to get Sita back.

My favorite part of this reading was the story about building the bridge, especially the squirrel helping! The part that said the India squirrel's striped are because Rama touched the squirrel got me interested so I did some Googling and was pleased to find that that really is the legend! And then I went deeper and saw that there really is a "bridge" to present-day Sri Lanka. Of course it wasn't built by anyone, let alone monkeys, but it's always really nice when myths have realities in them.

If I do a retelling based on anything in Part C, I think it would be the bridge building and the squirrel. I was actually thinking that I would tell a story of a modern-day family visiting the place at the tip of the continent, and a parent retelling the story to their child. Then, I think it would be so cute if at the end of the story a squirrel comes up to them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: Retelling of the Crocodile in the River