Storybook Favorites

The Creation of Kali

I was interested in this storybook because I actually am already somewhat familiar with Kali, also known as Durga or Parvati. I love the idea of telling three different origin stories, and integrating her three different identities so seamlessly. The writing here was nicely detailed, and I also loved the images the author included. My favorite story in this storybook was the "Birth of the Victor."

Kali in the Modern World

Okay, I always, always love modern retellings! I thought the story about Durga as a nurse during WWI was really good. I liked that she brought the demon into it as well and ended with her about to go slay him. We know she will, so including the actual slaying wasn't necessary. And then of course the story of Kali killing of the "Covid demon" was great and so creative. My only complaint about this storybook is that there wasn't a third part!

Stories of the Women of Indian Epics

While I haven't actually read the Ramayana, I really appreciated this author taking notice that the women's stories weren't told. I also was pleasantly surprised at the YouTube channel aspect of this storybook, that's something I hadn't seen in any others! I loved how much the author showed the women's emotions through their interviews.

This assignment did give me an idea for my Storybook. In middle school, I discovered a book series by the name of Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck. It's the story of two Indian princes who are cursed to live as tigers, and a girl who is destined to free them from it. The goddess Durga helps them along their journey of breaking the curse, and in the final book, Tiger's Destiny, they go into the past to meet their destiny: helping Durga defeat the demon Mahishasura. It's such a good series with plenty of romance, action and twists and turns. I might like to use those books along with the Hindu legends when I write my Storybook, but I'm not set on anything quite yet. I can't wait to brainstorm!


A fan art depiction of Kelsey and Ren (the white tiger) as they watch a statue of Durga and her tiger come to life. This is how they communicate with Durga in the books, after giving offerings at her temples. Posted by Lua on Pinterest.


Tiger's Curse fan art of Ren (the tiger) and Kelsey, the main character. By @jordynleeart on Twitter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Week 2 Story: Retelling of the Crocodile in the River